Per la login inserire: username e password
For login you must enter username and password
Camogli is 22 kilometers away from Genoa and 159 kilometers from Milano. It is easily reachable by the highway or by trein.
The city of Camogli is on the East Ligurian Cost in the province of Genoa. It is often called the City of Thousands White Sailing Vessels or Paradise Gulf Gem for its absolute relevance as tourist center and for it beautiful little harbor.
“Camogli” is for sure a word of ancient origins but the etymology is uncertain. Some believe that the words Camogli comes from Camuggi that in the Genoa dialect means “house of the wives” as the wives used to stay at home waiting for their seamen husbands, others believe that it comes from "Cŕ a muggi" which means heap of houses because of the very special arrangement of the houses.
Camogli has prehistoric origins. This is witnessed by the three huts from XIII and XII century B.C. found on the Castellaro. In the same area some roman ruins were also found from the II century.
At first glance you notice the presence of the colorful buildings looking at the sea. According to a tradition, the horizontal lines drawn on the buildings were used by seamen to find back to their houses after they had been out fishing.
Camogli is famous especially for its anchovies and for the fish fished in the “tonnara”, historical fishing emplacement. Since centuries the local fishermen are preparing their nets here in the same place. These days the tuna fishes are rare but the precious fish fished here is always abundant. Today it is possibile from mid April up to mid September to visit the “tonnara”. The guided visits are organized by the Camogli Fishermen Cooperative.
At Camogli there is also the Sea Museum Gio Bono Ferrari, which contains the sea collection of the founder and the Civic Archeological Museum with testimonies found at the ancient Castellano and related to the Iron Age.
Where the car really can’t go is Punta Chiappa, a charming sea village which takes its name from the pudding stone rock with the same name. Once this was used by fishermen both as a refuge place for boats and fishing equipment and for commercial relations. Today it is a tourist destination in the period of activity of the ferries.
In addition to the sea products which are special of this villane, you should also try the “camogliesi with rhum”, prepared with the famous liquor.
San Fruttuoso is a fishermen village in the city of Camogli, located in a cove which opens up in to the South West Coast of the Portofino’s promontory. The medieval village of S. di Capodimonte hosts the Dorias’ graves.
Ruta is on the western part of Portofino’s promontory, amongst pines and chestnut trees, at about three hundreds meters on the level of the sea. It is the starting point for walking tours on the Portofino’s promontory in the direction of the top of Portofino also called San Rocco. This village, where Friederich Nietzsche live in 1886, is made of villas and houses all along the hillsides. In the church dedicated to San Michele you will appreciate the “Madonna col Bambino”, small marble sculpture by Schiaffino and in the presbytery, Crocifissione and Immacolata, two paintings of the Genoa school. San Rocco is the last point which can be accessed by car. You can also go walking on the panoramic road which goes from Camogli to Ruta or through one of the little walking roads which go from Camogli to other little villages. The church of San Rocco is in a small square which offers a beautiful view on the Paradise Gulf. This Church is dedicated to the “Madonna della Salute”, and it was built in 1863. Inside there is a big marble frame by Bernardo Schiaffino, which includes the painting "Madonna della Salute" by Carlo Dolci. Each year on 16 august, for the saint anniversary, there is a festival at San Rocco where the most faithful dogs and the best animals lovers are awarded
Camogli is beautiful at every season:
In winter, in the sun shining days the colors of the promenade of Camogli and it mild climate will create some joy in those tired of the fogs and gray of winter.
In Spring and Autumn, those who love a life in touch with nature can walk on the Portofino’s promontory which offers and exceptional variety of vegetation. "Passeggiata della quiete" is that one that goes from Ruta to San Rocco Those who don’t feel like walking all the way to Ruta, can drive from there and arrive to S. Rocco to its church and the wonderful panorama.
In summer the large beach of Camogli becomes irresistible. Those who don’t like to stay on the sand all day can do a tour on a boat up to S.Fruttuoso or make a tour of the Paradise Gulf (on Saturday, in summer, it is romantic the night boat tour up to Genoa). In July there is the festival of “Cristo degli Abissi” at San Fruttuoso, while in August the sea is covered by floating lights to honor Stella Maris.
The Fish Festival, second Sunday of May, is happening every year since 1952. It is a day dedicated to the fish which is fried in a gigantic steel pan with a diameter of 3,8 meters and a handle 6 meters long. 2,8 tons of fish is fried in this pan which contains 2000 liters of oil. This big pan, placed on an frame in the little harbor is one of the main tourists attractions.